Monday, November 16, 2015

To those suffering around the world

To those suffering around the world,

I write this letter with a heavy heart. I know that many of you won’t read this but I feel I must express my feelings on the small chance that you will. I know the focus is on the Paris attacks and call to action for payback. Unfortunately, media’s and many people’s attention span is short and moves on to the next tragedy. I hear the outcries of those who have suffered in the other devastating world events prior to the Paris attacks. I want the people in the world who experienced devastation to know, though it may sound hollow, that I feel great sadness.

From the village of Bento Rodrigues, Brazil where a dam broke on November 6th, leaving the village buried under a wall of mud and one person dead and 22 missing. To the families of the two Americans killed in Jordan on November 9th. To the families of the seven people killed in the attack in Kabul, Afghanistan on November 10th. To the citizens of Beirut, Lebanon where more than 200 were killed in two suicide bombings on the 12th. And so many other struggles which may not have gotten the same world media attention. I know there is so much more that goes on in the world than what I don’t hear about from my news sources. So many names, so many lives and so many stories, you all deserve to have your lives honored and remembered.

Each events is horrifying and saddening. One event isn’t greater than the others. The loss of life is always a tragedy. It doesn’t matter if it’s one life or thousands. Each life deserves to be mourned and remembered. In my little corner of the world, I feel sadden by these events and the loss of lives. I can only imagine the fear, the hopelessness, and grief you feel right now. I can try to put myself in your shoes but I feel it won’t even come close, I cannot fully understand what it is like to live in the horrors that you must face every day. As an American, I am spoiled when it comes to my daily life. I can go about my business in my town without fear of being attacked or hurt in any way. My greatest fear is an earthquake or getting in a car accident. I don’t fear being shot or bombed. I should because if it can happen in the world, it can happen here. Just because I am in America doesn’t mean I am safe or immune.

When I hear of tragedies such as the ones from this past week, my heart feels numb because I am overwhelmed with shock and devastation. I feel powerless to help or prevent such adversity. I feel very small in a world of very big problems. I am one citizen in a world of billions. I cannot pick up arms and fight. I cannot be there to help shift through the rubble and help rebuild your lives. I don’t have the funds to offer an organization which is able to go out in the world and help. My inaction may seem like indifference but it’s not. Only by the grace of God is my life in relative safety. I see my problems as petty and insignificant in the world of terrible events. Right now, I can only offer my heartfelt condolences and prayers.

My words may not give you any solace or comfort but know they are from my heart.

With love and prayers from a small corner of the world,

Jennifer 

No comments:

Post a Comment