Wednesday, June 7, 2017

A More Perfect Union: secrets and scandal if discovered

A More Perfect Union by Jodi Daynard is the story of one man’s journey in America. Its 1794, 15 year old Johnny Watkins has come to Boston from Barbados in order to get an education. He dreams of becoming a great statesman like his hero, John Adams, who thinks the young man can do it. There is one catch. He must pass for white. Johnny is of mixed race. Very few know that Johnny’s father was born a slave. It’s a secret that is heavily guarded. He lives day-to-day risking being found out at any moment. Soon a secret is discovered about a certain presidential candidate in the upcoming election. A secret which dangers Johnny’s future and his very life. Johnny must decide who he can trust. Can he truly trust anyone?


I loved the historical detail in A More Perfect Union. I was confused for most of the book until I realized it was part of a series. I read by other reviewers that it could be read as a stand-alone book but I found that is not the case. As I read, I felt I was reading allusions to information I should already know. I enjoyed the premise and the mystery of this book as Johnny tries to navigate the new American political system. I also think I would have enjoyed so much more if I had read the first two books. I’m going to check out the first two books and reread A More Perfect Union. In the meantime, I recommend this book as a great look into the early years of our country and the development of our political system.

A More Perfect Union
is available on Amazon

in paperback and on the Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment