Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Twenty-One Truths About Love: one man's life in list form


Twenty-One Truths About Love by Matthew Dicks is the story of Daniel Mayrock, told through his lists as he struggles with his failing bookstore, his inability to tell his wife, Jill, about their financial future and her desire to have children. He is a man at a crossroad in his life. He knows that he loves his wife. He regrets opening the bookstore and quitting his job to do so. He takes great risks to save his marriage, to do almost anything for love, but he is a man who wants to do something out of the ordinary, to be special and to deserve happiness. Will he be able to do all he dreams? Will he come clean to his wife about their finances? Will they be able to have a family?


Twenty-One Truths About Love is told in an interesting style. A style I had not heard about, so I was intrigued and decided to give it a chance. While it was hard to read, it was like getting deeper into the mind of the narrator in ways I haven’t seen before. I applaud Mr. Dicks for taking a chance on such a unique idea. However, I discovered I did not like Daniel. I had no sympathy for him whatsoever and some of his comments in his lists were annoying. That was the beginning, as I read and as I saw his struggles once Jane does get pregnant and he sees his worst nightmare coming true, he realizes that success and happiness comes in different forms. There were times I wanted to scream at the book, “TELL HER!” but I also see why he fears telling her. In the end, it is a book about a man struggling to make a life for himself and his family and struggles on how to do it. If you are interested in new forms of storytelling, I recommend Twenty-One Truths About Love. If you aren’t, its best you leave this one alone. 

Twenty-One Truths About Love
will be available on November 19, 2019
in hardcover, eBook and audiobook

No comments:

Post a Comment