Thursday, February 6, 2014

Slang


                First, I want to apologize for the lateness of this post. I meant to post it a couple of days ago and then I got a cold. A cold so bad that I felt dizzy to sit up. But now, I’m feeling better and on to my post. Thanks again for reading!
                Slang. I really, really dislike slang. Words or phrases that I have always been uncomfortable hearing or using. I never know if I’m using it in the right situations or if I’m a part of the group enough to use the slang. Then again some slang just makes someone sound uneducated. Slang is words or phrase that is very informal. Slang has been around for as long as humans had language. When you’re a teenager and you want to be a part of a group, you will being to use the language that your friends are using. I know that I tried to use slang when I was younger and I felt awkward and foolish. I avoid using slang as much as I can. Many times, especially in high school, by the time I heard of a particular slang, it was already passé to use it.  
I recently discovered a new slang phrase. I was waiting in the café for my husband to get off of work when a group of teenagers were sitting next to my table. They were talking and I overheard one young man say “You’re stupid smart if you….” “Stupid smart” got my attention. I thought for a moment that he made a mistake but since his friends weren't making fun of him. When I got home, I looked it up and it means: “someone who tries to sound educated but comes off sounding like they’re trying too hard.” So, it’s someone who is using big words without either knowing the meaning or not truly understanding the meaning and using it in the wrong context. I realize that I find slang useless and annoying.
                The most annoying slang words is “preggers” or “preggo.” It makes me twitch every time I hear it. Apparently, a lot of people find it annoying too. On UrbanDictionary.com, several users comments including descriptions like: “disgustingly annoying” or “should never be used.” I agree. If you are pregnant, just say pregnant. I also find the use of slang for various body parts is equally annoying. Just come out and use the proper term. There is another wrong or embarrassing to use the actual terms. For instance, vagina instead of vajayjay or baby cannon.  I could go on but I think you get the picture.
                Slang has affected our ability to communicate. I know when I was in school, many of classmates were called out by the professors for using slang or Internet jargon in their papers. And I've heard reports of high school English teachers complaining of the same thing. I think if you are going to use slang, please remember your audience. If you are with your friends or online, that’s where it’s appropriate. But on in school work, speaking to your elders, not really appropriate. I know there probably many people who would disagree with me and that’s fine. I dislike slang and I will not teach my daughter to use it. I know that when she becomes a teenager, she will probably use it with her friends but she’ll learn there’s a time and place for slang.

                

No comments:

Post a Comment