Thursday, May 1, 2014

A letter to a long, lost friend

May 1, 2014

Dear Friend,

I had a dream about you last night. I dreamt that we had ran into each other somewhere. You greeted me warmly as you showed me pictures of your family. I, in turn, showed you pictures of mine. I woke up with the common ache in my heart that you are no longer in my life. 



I think of you often. I pray that you are doing well and that you are happy.  I remember all our good times together and wonder why we still couldn't be friends. I was wonder what happened to our friendship. Was it was something I said? Something I did? I think of you when certain songs play. For example, Pink’s “Who Knew" especially when she sings: 
“You promised me you’d be around
I took your words and I believed in everything
You said to me”
I suppose what people say is true that some friends are meant to be in your life for a time, not a lifetime. I’d always thought we’d be friends forever. I guess forever was a lot shorter than I envisioned. It hurts when friends leave and leaves behind silence with no explanation, just gone. I suppose you had a reason. I no longer had a place in your world. I realize now that God had plans for me that didn’t involve you. To you I was just one person in the world but soon after you left, I met someone who thought I was the world. Whatever happened, I forgive you and pray that you are happy and safe. This letter is my goodbye. I'll remember you and think of you often. But I realize now that our friendship was only for a season and it's time to let go. 
I leave you with this blessing. May the Lord bless you and keep. May He make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace (Numbers 6:24-26).



Love always,
Someone you left behind

No comments:

Post a Comment