Monday, May 5, 2014

"Glimpse of Sunlight: Jonathan Dickinson Odyssey Book #1" review.


“Glimpse of Sunlight: Johnathan Dickinson Odyssey Book #1” by Leona DeRosa Bodie and G.E. Gardiner is an adventure set in modern day Jamaica and well as 17th century Port Royal, Jamaica. Three men, Captain Kyle Seydou, a marine archaeologist, Donovan Bouchara, a college student and Jon Taylor, a businessman, and their ancestors Oumar Seydou, Blair Brannigan and Jonathan Dickinson as their stories converge on the island of Jamaica. The narration swifts between the three men tell the story of their prospective families’ stories and 17th century Jamaica and the events that occurred there.
I enjoyed this book for the history of 17th century Port Royal, Jamaica. The authors tell a detailed story about the Spanish rule, the British attack and rule, and the slave raids on the plantations. I knew about the raids from World History class in high school but the descriptions here are detailed and action packed. I really liked that Jonathan Dickinson was a historical figure and has great significance to Jamaica. I am excited to read about this man and his adventure because he really did have quite the adventure. I could feel like I was there and could sense the danger. I love how the authors hint at the significance of June 7, 1692. If you know Jamaican history, then you already know why but if you don’t, I’m not going to spoil it.
My only criticism is the beginning story of Blair Brannigan. Her father, Master Brannigan and his wife, Mistress Brannigan are having an argument and she kicks him out of his family’s ancestral manor for having an affair. This scenario seems unlikely for 17th century Ireland. The authors may have found incidences when this scenario did in fact happen but from my own knowledge and research of the time it just seems to be a modern scenario than a 17th century one.
I had confusion set in with one of the minor characters. Lord Thurston is introduced as just Lord Thurston but his son is introduced as Edmund Jr. So, I can assume that his father is Edmund Sr. but later in the book, it is revealed that his name is William. If that’s so, then how can Edmund be a junior?

Overall, I enjoyed this book. It started off a little slow and I was wondering when Jonathan Dickinson would play into the story but once I got into the story I couldn't put it down. I just had to finish the story. I am looking forward to reading the rest of Jonathan Dickinson’s odyssey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment