Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars: a story of living in the moment

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is a story about two-crossed lovers who are battling cancer while experiencing the angst and rebellion of adolescence. The story opens with Hazel, a cancer survivor, who has to be on constant oxygen due to the medication which keeps her cancer at bay. She is pressured by her mother to attend a support group for teenager cancer patients. She reluctantly goes where she encounters a new attendee. Augustus “Gus” Waters is 17 and immediately drawn to Hazel. They discuss their favorite books, Hazel’s is An Imperial Affliction written by Peter Van Houten, who has become a recluse since the book’s publication. Together, Hazel and Augustus go on an adventure of discovery and romance.
I enjoyed this book for the beautiful story. It is rare for me to say that when I didn’t like the main character. I feel that Hazel is too philosophical. At one point, she rants about eggs for breakfast and why not for other meals. I don’t know about you but I grew up with “breakfast” foods for lunch or dinner, just like I’ve had “lunch” or “dinner” foods for breakfast. I also didn’t understand her willingness to get into a car and go to Augustus’ house when she makes it clear after the meeting that she seems to be annoyed by him. I also didn’t enjoy Hazel’s “life sucks, cancer sucks” rants that seem to be her personality. I know that cancer is a very difficult disease. I have seen and watched many people suffer. While some have survived and others have not, not once did I see a “poor, pitiful me” attitude. Even when at the end and the bleakest reality was facing them, I have seen optimism and hope until their last breath. I enjoyed Gus the most. I enjoyed his flair for life despite his cancer. I enjoyed the interactions between Gus and his friend, Isaac. There is one scene (which I won’t spoil for you) that I laughed and said “That’s being a teenager!”
There are so many great quotes from this book that could summarize the theme. However, I feel the precise of the story was summarized in the line “Grief does not change you. It reveals you.” I find this statement to be very true. Grief has a way to reveal the inner strength of people but it can also reveal someone else’s weakness. The Fault in Our Stars is an enjoyable story filled with laughter and tears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment