Thursday, October 9, 2014

Just Ask the Universe: another self-help book of positive thinking

Just ask the Universe: A no-nonsense guide to manifesting your dreams by Michael Samuels is a self-help book in which Mr. Samuels attempts to explain on the reader can achieve his or her wants and desires by using the power of the universe. I must say that I had a hard time reading this book. I didn’t request it as I usually do when I get books for my reviews. It was sent in a package of other books. I felt I had an obligation or at least try. Twice, I picked it up and I was finally able to read through it.


First, he describes to universe as “flows through you and around you.” Sounds similar? It should. Obi-Wan says “It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together” when describing the Force to Luke in Star Wars. Second, he discusses the dos and don’ts of the universe. Do be positive and give thanks when you received what you want. Don’t wish harm to others or take away from others, it will come back to harm you (basically karma). Third, you basically mediate on your want list.


I understand the power of positive thinking. It’s like the story of the little train that could. You keep pushing yourself despite struggles and obstacles and you will achieve your goals. But there is not steps to achieving the goals in this book. It’s basically mediation. It’s like my dream of publishing a book. I know that I have a list of things I need to do before I publish. I can’t just put it on a list and mediate “I want to be published" and my book will magically appear on the bookshelves. This is basically Mr. Samuels' method. 


Another issue I have with this book is Mr. Samuels capitalizes universe where I won’t because he writes “When I capitalize the Universe, it is not because I believe this is God. I believe there is a God who is the creator of the Universe. I capitalize the Universe because I have tremendous respect for it and I believe it is different from God.” NO! God is the Creator of all. You can’t separate the Creator from the created. It would be like to separate the ingredients of a cake once it’s been baked. I have never been a fan of self-help gurus, like Tony Robbins (who seems to be the hero of Mr. Samuels), because it’s all feel good encouragement with no real call to action. While Mr. Samuels accepts to explain the call to action, I feel he fails to do so adequately. I cannot recommend this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment