Thursday, November 6, 2014

Another book for the Did-Not-Finish-List

The dreaded Did-Not-Finish list. Every reader has one. It is the books that were so complicated or convoluted that it makes it impossible to finish and enjoy the story. There are only a few on my list of books I could not finish, most recently I and You by Beverly Garside. When I accepted the request to review this book, I was excited about the story. It was described as a world in which the principles of Ayn Rand of objectivism are applied in the United States in 2098. The pronoun “we” had been replaced with the ideologically correct “I and You.”


When the book arrived, I was disappointed. First, it was huge. It is 8x10 sized with 205 pages. It is the size of some of my college textbooks, which makes it hard to read laid back and relaxed. Second, I didn’t realize it was a graphic novel. Although I do read comic books and graphic novels from time to time, they aren’t my primary reading material. But I tried to give it a go. I read for quite a number of pages and I realized that I was following the story and I really didn’t care about the characters or the events that were taking place.



This book maybe be great and filled with many great insights about society and the society we may become one day. It may appeal to fans of Ayn Rand and her philosophies. I’ve only read one of her books and it was a good book but difficult to get through. If you are a fan of Ayn Rand and her novels and you enjoy graphic novels, this is the book for you. Unfortunately, I could not finish it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment