Saturday, March 28, 2015

Whatever as slang: the most annoying phrase in conversation

I've come to hate the word whatever. It has become annoying and according to the Marist College polls, the “most annoying [phrase] in conversation.” Whatever has become a slang word meaning “I don’t care about what you just said.” It is used to dismiss a previous statement and express indifference to what someone has said. It is considered rude and impolite to use in conversation. According to Urban Dictionary, whatever is used in an argument to admit that you are wrong without actually admitting it so the argument is over. It is considered an alternative to “f**k you.”


The word whatever when used as slang is a sign of indifference. I’m not talking about when it is used to in terms of “Sure, whatever works for you.” Indicating that whichever plan is agreed upon works. However, whatever has become a word of apathy and very passive-aggressive. It has become a put down and a signal to another person that what is being said is not important. This use of the word is what I hate the most. When it is used to end a heated discussion in which another person isn't going to persuade the other to his or her side of the debate. It’s “fine, whatever” replaces “You’re an idiot and there’s no talking to you.” This is especially annoying when being used by closed-minded people who cannot accept that someone just might have a different opinion.


Whatever can also be used to display skepticism. Skepticism is doubting the truthfulness of a piece of information and that’s not a bad thing. However, when someone uses the phrase, “yeah, whatever” dismisses the information without an effort on his or her part to find the truthfulness or deceitfulness of the information. Whenever I’m giving information that I doubt, I usually reply with “I’ve never heard that and I would have to look into it.” It is a much more pleasant way to dismiss information that you doubt without making the person giving it feel like a fool. There may be truth to their information and dismissing it without consideration is rude. I sometimes also say “Interesting. I’ll have to look into that” to a piece of information that I may doubt. Either phrase gives respect to the person without putting them down.


Lastly, whatever can be used to show exasperation. We’ve all been there especially when talking to a toddler. You’re tired and the discussion is going on for what seems like forever. You just want it to stop so you say, “Fine! Whatever.” It doesn’t indicate that you are fine with the topic or decision but you just want it to end. This has happened many times to me when a topic is brought up and the discussion gets out of control and I often regret that the topic was brought up at all. I suppose because I am the type of person who is usually open to other’s ideas in the formulation of plans, etc. I am truly annoyed when someone else isn’t as open when an idea is presented that is different from his or her own. Simply because they don’t want to do it or they want their plan to be the only plan. It’s the “my way or the highway” mentality.



When whatever is used in a tone of indifference, skepticism or exasperation is annoying. And I know that tone of voice is very important when using whatever. And it makes my blood boil when it is used. The use of whatever, when directed at me, usually leaves me feeling unimportant and unworthy of even having a different opinion or idea and I know that it is not true. I know that whatever, when used as indifference, skepticism, or exasperation, is often done without thinking. Be mindful of the tone of voice used when trying to end a discussion or even dismiss a piece of information which you don’t believe. 

12 comments:

  1. I take it to mean that the person using it is not intelligent enough to formulate a response or counter-argument on topic so that is their go to word that gives them the feeling of some sort of triumph. I feel it makes them look like an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Perhaps they're intelligent enough to know further discussion (arguing) is pointless. Whatever = fuck you, I'm done.

      Delete
    2. Intelligent enough to know further discussion is pointless, though are just unable to articulate the notion; whatever.

      Delete
  2. When I use whatever, such as in a recent text to a woman who made no sense and I was frustrated with her interference in my relationship with a relative of hers and her complete lack or any attempt to understand what I said because she hadn’t bothered to read what I wrote, I wanted her to feel disrespected and little. Was my usage rude? Maybe. I rarely try to inflict through words my disdain for individuals. In this case it was long overdue action. I appreciate finding this site because it told me what I wanted to accomplish happened—unless she’s as dense as I’m beginning to think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I use whatever, such as in a recent text to a woman who made no sense and I was frustrated with her interference in my relationship with a relative of hers and her complete lack or any attempt to understand what I said because she hadn’t bothered to read what I wrote, I wanted her to feel disrespected and little. Was my usage rude? Maybe. I rarely try to inflict through words my disdain for individuals. In this case it was long overdue action. I appreciate finding this site because it told me what I wanted to accomplish happened—unless she’s as dense as I’m beginning to think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, thank you for taking the time to comment. I'm glad you have found my site and that the information was helpful. While I try to avoid using it, I too find myself using 'whatever' in frustration especially when the other person is being dense or simply refusing to understand.

      Delete
  4. Nobody Says "WHATEVER" To The Teachers, Let Alone Staff Members.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "...leaves me feeling unimportant and unworthy" this is exactly how I feel ! My aunt always does this everytime we're arguing and she just doesn't get it when I explained why she shouldn't use this sentence. She always feels like she's the superior one. I know that I shouldn't let them who refuse to hear other people actually get to me. But I can't help ended up being angrier, should've just take a breath and ignore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever. (I love irony.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shut the hell up 'n' get the fuck off o' here if you can't say anythin' nice! Jen's right about what she blogged about. So either you respect her or fuck off.

      Delete