Wednesday, September 28, 2016

America's Original Sin: a look into racism in America's history and today

America’s Original Sin Racism, White Privilege and the Bridge to a New America by Jim Wallis is a no hold’s bar, in your face, look into racism in America’s origins, its history and today’s modern world. Mr. Wallis sets the goal of his book to talk about racism as America’s original sin and how it lingers in our society and our criminal justice system. As a white, Christian man, and Civil Rights advocate, Mr. Wallis offers perspective from his experiences in his own life as he has seen racism and has helped battle racism. He presents the tragic stories of Trayvon Martin and Eric Garner. He talks about the increasing police shootings as Americans becomes more aware of the injustices in our society. He discusses the historical systemic racism from America’s colonial days to its foundation and its reconstruction. He also presents his ideas on how we can end racism and move forward as a united country with Christians leading the charge. As our churches need to be more colorblind and education begins at home with parents teaching and encouraging children in inclusiveness of everyone we come across in our lives.


America’s Original Sin is a powerful book which will open your eyes, challenge what you know about our country and even about yourself. While I agree with many of Mr. Wallis’ assertions and others I do not, he is encouraging an open and honest discussion about racism and race relations. We, as a country, as a society, need to honestly talk about racism, without anger and without violence. As I read, I evaluated my own prejudices as I try not to see someone for their skin color as Dr. King once dreamed. And I feel ashamed of the fear and uneasiness I feel when I walk alone and a black man is in my vicinity. I wasn’t taught to fear black men by my family. I grew in an area of diversity. I only assume where these feelings are coming from. Because of this, I encourage my daughter to interact with all the children in our neighborhood. I recommend America’s Original Sin. I warn you. It is not for the faint of heart. But if you are willing to open your heart and mind, you’ll realize your actions or inactions has kept racial lines drawn.

America’s Original Sin
is available on Amazon in hardcover and on the Kindle
as well as with Barnes and Noble

in hardcover, Nook book and audiobook

No comments:

Post a Comment