Thursday, April 20, 2017

Under Our Skin: an honest discussion of race relations in the U.S.

Under Our Skin by Benjamin Watson is a deep look into race relations in this country. Mr. Watson is currently a tight end for the Baltimore Ravens. The book is an expansion of his viral Facebook post after a grand jury returned a no bill on the charges against Officer Darren Wilson for the shooting death of Michael Brown and the riots that ensued. In the book, Mr. Watson writes with brutal honesty to both blacks and whites about our interactions with each other. He writes about what blacks and whites do and act that keep the racial divide wide. He speaks about his anger, his frustration, his fear and confusion among many other emotions. He speaks from his own experiences with racism and open conversation with white friends and teammates about racism in the United States. He admits that there are no easy answers or solutions. He still has hope that we can live together as a community.


I read Mr. Watson’s original Facebook post and I loved it. Then one day recently, I saw a program which discusses this book and I was intrigued. I immediately went online and ordered it. When it arrived, I took my time to read his words. To truly digest and comprehend his experiences and his viewpoints. Some of his points I agreed wholeheartedly and others were eye opening and hard to swallow. Although I wasn’t raised to treat anyone different because of their skin, society has an influence on how we view each other and sometimes those thoughts and ideas creep in and I hate myself for it. I highly recommend everyone read Under Our Skin.

Under Our Skin
is available at major booksellers

in paperback and eBook

No comments:

Post a Comment