Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Things You Save in a Fire: a great drama with a realistic feel


Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center is the story of Cassie Hanwell, a rising star in the Austin Fire Department until she is urged by her estranged mother to live with her at her home in Rockport, Massachusetts for a year. At first, she refused, what did she owed to the woman who left her behind so many years ago? But a situation rose up and she finds herself moving to Rockport and getting a position in a tiny firehouse in the small town of Lillian. In a house, where a woman isn’t exactly a welcome sight, Cassie must prove herself to be as good, if not better, then the men. She needs to remain focused and get through the next year. But a rookie, Owen Callaghan, joins the house on the same day and there is an instant attraction. An attraction she finds herself desperately trying to ignore and stay focused. Will Cassie be able to return to her job in Austin or will fate decide she needs to stay?


I LOVED Things You Save in a Fire. I enjoy books about firefighters and the work they do. Ms. Center’s descriptions are very vivid that you can almost feel the heat from the fires. I also enjoyed the interpersonal conflict between Cassie and her mom as well as Cassie and the men at the station. It felt real and with resolutions that didn’t seem farfetched or unbelievable. My heart stopped at some moments, I cried at others and I laughed with the pranks the firefighters played on each other. I wish I could say more about the book, but I can’t without giving away certain plot points. I felt as if I was watching real people in real life. I highly recommend Things You Save in a Fire!

Things You Save in a Fire
will be available on August 13, 2019
in hardcover, eBook, and audiobook

No comments:

Post a Comment