Friday, May 9, 2014

"When I grow up I want to be...in the U.S. Navy!" book review

When I grow up I want to be…in the US Navy by Wigu Publishing is a book in the series which children are introduced to different careers. Wigu Publishing is a collaboration of talented and creative individuals to publish books that are fun yet informational for children.
I have a great respect for the military. Both grandfathers served in World War II, my late father-in-law served in the Korean War, two uncles and a cousin-in-law served in Vietnam. I have cousins who served in the Afghanistan War and I have three cousins who are currently serving in the military. All military branches are represented in my family’s proud service. To say that I was excited to read this book is a little bit of an understatement.



The story begins with Noah and his sister, Marina are going with their Veteran grandfather to visit an aircraft carrier. The book gives a little history about the formation of the US Navy and the famous naval ship, the U.S.S. Constitution aka Old Ironsides. As the carrier explore the aircraft carrier, the different areas are discussed about what the space is called, used for and who uses the space. The importance of each job on the aircraft carrier is discussed from the pilots to the cooks, everyone is important to the function of the ship. At the end of the book, the different ships in use in the U.S. Navy are pictured.

I love the wealth of information in this book. Real pictures of the carrier and its crew are used with the cartoon characters inserted into the picture. It helps visualize the aircraft carrier. I also love that the book opens with the Sailor’s Creed as well as an anonymous quote about the American Sailor. This book and other titles in the When I Grow Up I want to Be… series are available on Amazon.com and other online retailers for $12.95. I would recommend this book to parents and teachers who want to introduce children to the different careers that are available. 

No comments:

Post a Comment