Monday, May 22, 2017

More than Words: family values in action rather than speech

More than Words 10 Values for the Modern Family by Erin Wathen is an evaluation of family values. According to Ms. Wathen, the purpose of the book is to find common ground between progressive and conservative Christians. Ms. Wathen is the senior pastor at the St. Andrew Christian Church in Kansas City as she uses her experience and observations to illustrate the values she feels are the most important as expression of love. Values such as compassion, joy, justice, and forgiveness. Each chapter features one particular value which people can practice in their home and in the community as well as questions at the end of each chapter to help the readers further put the value into action in their lives.


My first impression of More than Words was disagreement. I disagreed with many of Ms. Wathen’s illustrations as to why these values need to be practiced to our lives. I agree with the values that she is discussing and she had some excellent points. Despite the fact that I disagreed with her illustrations, I enjoyed her openness to discuss topics that many people would shy away from such as our approach as Christians to the LGBTQ community. I particularly liked her statement that marriage is an art, not a science. There is no formula for a great marriage, it is a piece of art which is worked and retouched as time goes by. I also liked that she said the old adage “don’t go to bed angry” isn’t good advice. I’ve found that sleep will often give you a new perspective in the morning and you are better able to talk calmly. I have other examples; however, I am recommending it for those who are open to a different point of view or if you would like to know what are the other viewpoints.

More than Words
is available on Amazon

in paperback and on the Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment