Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Good White Racist: interesting premise but doesn't apply to all white people


Good White Racist?: Confronting Your Role in Racial Injustice by Kerry Connelly is a book “by a white person for white people.” A good white racist is defined as “a well-intentioned person of European descent who is nonetheless complicit in a culture of systemic racism.” It is a white person who would acknowledges that racism is evil but stays silent against racism rather than confront injustices and racism. According to Ms. Connelly, most white Americans are obsessed with two things: defending their own inherent goodness and maintaining their comfort levels. So, to be a racist, one must be openly hateful and discriminatory; however, Ms. Connelly sets out to show that being racist is more than saying racial slurs to be an accomplice in America’s inequality. In Good White Racist?, Ms. Connelly exposes how she feels white people participate in, benefit from, and unknowingly continue racism, regardless of their best intentions. Using examples from history, sociology, psychology, education and economics as well as personal experiences, Ms. Connelly shows how racism still thrives in the American society. She attacks and counters the common defense statements that many white American would make. Each chapter ends with an Active Learning section to Learn, Think and Act for further discussion and contemplation. Certified as a life coach, Ms. Connelly, is the author of the “no nonsense Jersey girl, JESUS blog and host of podcast White on White” and currently pursuing a Master’s in Divinity at the Christian Theological Seminary. Are you a Good White Racist? If so, how can you help stop the system of inequality in America?


Good White Racist? is a hard book to read. Ms. Connelly doesn’t pull any punches and hits right where most white Americans feel comfortable and safe. Designed to make the white readers uncomfortable, I was prepared for those feelings. And sometimes she hit the nail on its head, and I had to nod and agree, yes, that happens and yes, I do know people who act the ways she describes. However, I don’t agree with all her statements; however, I know she would probably write off my comments because I am white and another example of a white person pushing aside the issue. There are parts I feel she has written to minorities to show that she, as a white Christian, truly understands which misses the mark if it is a book for white people, why would a person of color even read it? I also didn’t like the fact that she curses in the book. At one point, she assumes the white person reading the book would be more upset at the curse word than the statement itself. I do not feel that authors need to curse in order to make a statement impactful. There are better ways to emphasize the horror of a statement without throwing the F-bomb. Plus, I hate slang. I don’t care who uses it and the author likes to show how hip she is by using slang and, to me, it cheapens her mission. I do like that she challenges the “I don’t see race. I am color-blind” statement of many whites to show how non-racist they are. I applaud Ms. Connelly’s attempts to shine a bright light on the issue; however, I feel she has ignored the growing number of interracial families. Overall, Good White Racist? is a good book and I recommend it.

Good White Racist?
is available in paperback

No comments:

Post a Comment