Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Cilka's Journey: one woman's life after surviving Auschwitz


Cilka’s Journey by Heather Morris is the harrowing story of Cecilia “Cilka” Klein who spent three years in Auschwitz before being liberated by the Russian army in 1945. However, once she thought she would be free to return home, the Russian authorities learn what she was at the camp and accused her of being a spy for the enemy. She is sentenced to 15 years hard labor at the Vorkuta Gulag in Siberia. Once again, she is given a number and forced to work in horrible conditions in the coal mines. Through a series of events, she finds herself removed from the mines and trained as a nurse in the hospital. There she learns the horrors that the other prisoners do not get to see. As she does her time, she has recurring nightmares and memories of her time in Auschwitz. Will Cilka survive her time in the prison? Will she ever be released and sent home?


Cilka’s Journey is a continuation of Ms. Morris’ bestselling book, The Tattooist of Auschwitz. I was unaware of this connection when I picked up Cilka’s Journey. However, you do not need to read The Tattooist in order to follow Cilka’s Journey. Given the subject matter, I thought the book would be difficult to read, so I wanted to pace myself. However, once I got into the story, I couldn’t put it down. I needed to know if Cilka’s survives and if she does, is she released? Does she escape? After reading Cilka’s Journey, I want to go back and get The Tattooist of Auschwitz. There are scenes and descriptions that are hard to read due to the subject matter, but the Vorkuta Gulag was very real and some of the events Ms. Morris depicts in this book really happened, which makes the horrors Cilka sees even more terrifying. I recommend Cilka’s Journey as a look into a part of history many people do not know or do not discuss.

Cilka’s Journey
is available in hardcover, eBook and audiobook

No comments:

Post a Comment