Monday, October 14, 2019

The Grumble Free Year: One family's journey to help others be grumble free


The Grumble Free Year: Twelve months, eleven family members and one impossible goal by Tricia Goyer is her family’s journey to attempt to grumble less and praise more. Before they set off on this seemingly impossible journey, Tricia and her husband, John, promise their kids that if they can achieve this goal, the family will go on a cruise. Their ten children agree to give it a try. The book is twenty chapters, separating into three parts: Gearing Up, The Challenge Begins, and Winding Down, Tricia Goyer details their planning, their successes as well as their failures and where the ideas need to be thrown out, added new ideas or improved upon original ones. At the end of each chapter, there are three Reflection Questions in which the reader can reflect on the topics discussed in each chapter and find the areas that need more attention or improvement. There is also a My Turn section in which the reader can apply the Grumble Free technique to their own journey. Using personal stories and well as relevant Bible verses, Tricia Goyer guides the reader to a grumble free year and beyond.


I was invited to become a member of the Grumble Free Year Launch team. Since I review books on a regular basis, I joined even though I was unfamiliar with Ms. Goyer’s work. I was curious about what this journey would be about. As I began, I was intrigued by her story as her younger children come to their family through adoption and the challenges they faced as the children were older adoptees. At the end of each chapter, I would thoughtfully answer the Reflection Questions and I begin to see where I could change my grumbly ways. Some of the challenges and methods do not apply to me…yet as my children are only 7 years old and 13 months. However, I now have a tool at my disposal in order to face those future grumble years by getting to the root of the grumbles. The Grumble Free Year is a wonderful book with heartfelt, personal and honest stories that shows that the goal of being grumble free isn’t easy, but it is rewarding. This book helped me realize where I am already working on my grumbling and the areas where I still need work. It is a book I will be visiting again and again as I need it. I highly recommend The Grumble Free Year.

The Grumble Free Year:
Twelve months, eleven family members, and one impossible goal
will be available November 5, 2019
in paperback, eBook and audiobook

No comments:

Post a Comment