Wednesday, November 13, 2019

The Light in the Hallway: how do you move on when your spouse dies?


The Light in the Hallway by Amanda Prowse is a story of life after the death of a spouse and how does one move on? The story opens in 1992 with 10-year-old Nick Bairstow, along with his best friends, Eric and Alex, has begged his father for a bike only to be horribly disappointed. Fast forward 25 years, Nick is begging his 18-year-old son, Oliver “Olly” to come with him but her refuses. So, Nick goes alone. Where is he going? The hospital where his wife, Kerry, is dying of cancer. He arrives in time to say goodbye. Soon the doors of grief close in on Nick and he is not sure what do to. But life must go one as Olly heads to university and Nick finds a way to come home to an empty house. At every turn, he is criticized by his sister-in-law, Diane, for various missteps and bad behavior on his and Olly’s part. At one point, Nick confesses, “It seems I can’t do right for doing wrong, where they are all concerned.” What is the protocol for moving on? What are the steps to get on with one’s life when their loved one dies? Throughout the book, the story flashbacks to the summer of 1992 when Nick begins to learn important life lessons and connects to the new life lessons he learns in the present.


The Light in the Hallway is the fourth book I have read by Ms. Prowse. While it’s not my favorite (I still love The Food of Love (2016)), I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I found myself very protective of Nick as he tries to navigate life after Kerry’s death. I wanted to give Diane a piece of my mind when she criticized Nick for “moving on too fast” after Kerry’s death. But was he really? How long is he supposed to stay in mourning? I cheered when he finally gets the courage to stand up to her and tell her off. There was one moment when I cried my eyes out. I can’t discuss it further, but it is very significant to the story and it was very touching. I highly recommend The Light in the Hallway. It is a moving story of how one moves on after a death. Life truly does go on.

The Light in the Hallway
is available in paperback, eBook, and audiobook

No comments:

Post a Comment