Thursday, July 2, 2020

Almost Forever: not quite the story I was hoping for


Almost Forever by Deborah Raney is the first book in the Hanover series. It is the story of a community trying to move on in the aftermath of a tragedy. Bryn Hennesey is volunteering late one night at a local homeless shelter when a massive fire breaks out. Her husband, Adam, is a firefighter who responds to the call. The fire quickly gets out of control and five firefighters lose their life including Adam. In the days following the fire, Bryn must deal with her grief as well as her guilt as her last words spoken to Adam were in anger and a lie. Garrett Edmonds lost his wife, Molly, in the fire and, along with Bryn and the other spouses who lost his loved ones, they must learn to start over in life. As the investigators search for the cause of the fire, Bryn may hold the answer to all they need to know. Will she able to tell the truth she knows? Will Garrett be able to face life without his wife? Will they ever find the truth behind the fire?


I love stories about firefighters. They are the ultimate heroes in my book. So, when Almost Forever was suggested to me, I grabbed it. The previous book I read by Deborah Raney had me on the edge of my seat and I was eager to read another. However, this story stalled after the opening chapter. I found myself not caring for Bryn. Her constant internal whining was annoying. Even Garrett was hard to like. He talks about not liking his wife’s job, then why would you marry a woman who wanted to be a firefighter?!?!? I understand being stressed and worried that your spouse could get hurt on the job, but it is something you know before. I found myself questioning certain character behaviors and decisions. Like why would the wife of a firefighter, a lieutenant no less, would operate a business that wasn’t up to code? There are so many more example that by the time I finished reading I was cheering “it’s about time!” and that’s not how I usually end books, even when it was a book I end up not caring for. When a book is this tedious to read, despite the high reviews from other readers, it’s hard to recommend it.

Almost Forever
is available in paperback, eBook and audiobook

No comments:

Post a Comment