Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Maggie for Hire: an Urban Fantasy that wasn't my taste


Maggie for Hire is the first book in the Maggie McKay Magical Tracker series by Kate Danley. Maggie is a 30-something Irish brunette in Los Angeles and she tracks the monster who roam the streets of Los Angeles. She gets the call to catch them and return them to the dimension where they belong. Maggie soon teams up with an elf named Killian as she learns her uncle has teamed up with the very monsters she hunts. Now she is in a race against time and a fight for everyone’s life as she needs to find a magical object stop the looming apocalypse. Is she up for the fight? Can she find this object in time?


Maggie For Hire is an Urban Fantasy story that intrigued me as I read the description. I thought it was like Supernatural (2005-2020) and eagerly dived into the book. Right off the bat, Maggie is abrasive and non-nonsense. Usually I enjoy these characteristics, however, in this case, Maggie was annoying. She is the typical hero, “I’m a loner and I don’t need help” but secretly is afraid to need help and ask for it. I usually don’t mind abrasive language but the language, and humor, which is meant to be edgy and witty, fell short. I wasn’t funny. I haven’t read Urban Fantasy books in a while, unfortunately, Maggie for Hire isn’t for me. However, you enjoy Urban Fantasy stories, you may enjoy Maggie for Hire as well as the rest of the series.

Maggie For Hire
is available in paperback and eBook

No comments:

Post a Comment