Thursday, November 5, 2020

If I had A Parenting Do Over: useful information for all parents

 If I Had A Parenting Do Over: 7 Vital Changes I’d Make by Jonathan McKee offers real advice from a parent who made many mistakes with his own children and he acknowledges areas in which he overparented and where he would have done more. While many of his advice is applied mostly to teenagers as they try to gain more independence, the advice can certainly be applied to older children before the troubled teen years. He urges parents to have conversations rather than interrogations and not to let boundaries hinder your bonding time with your kids. Mr. McKee explains the difference between quality time and quantity time. While both are important, quality time are moments that just happen while quantity time takes a bit more planning and effort. Each chapter highlights each of his vital 7 changes and ending with practical questions to ask yourself and apply to your own parenting situation.

I first heard about If I Had A Parenting Do Over from my husband who had heard Mr. McKee on the radio, talking about this book. He was intrigued and asked me to look it up. We both agreed to order it and read it. While our children are not teenagers yet, the book offers practical advice that when put into practice and “perfected” so by the time our children are teenagers, these practices will be second nature…hopefully. Even though he writes from a Christian perspective, his advice can be helpful to non-Christian parents as well. I highly recommend If I Had A Parenting Do Over.

 

If I Had A Parenting Do Over is available in paperback and eBook

No comments:

Post a Comment