Friday, October 22, 2021

The Wedding War: what happens when the children of two former friends get married?

The Wedding War by Liz Talley. Once upon a time, Melanie “Melly” Layton and Tennyson “Teeny” O’Rourke were inseparable, but their friendship was shattered when a deep secret, one they pinkie promised never to reveal, was exposed. They haven’t spoken for more than two decades and they were happy never to cross paths again. But fate would intervene. Melanie’s daughter, Emma, and Tennyson’s son, Andrew, would meet in college, fall in love and after graduation, announce their engagement. Now the two women must find a way to tolerate each other and play nice long enough to plan the wedding. But hurts still run deep and they clash from the start. From keeping it simple and traditional to extravagant and flashy, they find a way to argue about every detail. Adding to the drama of the wedding planning, life’s own complications add to the drama and forces Melanie and Tennyson to confront their past. With the wedding day fast approaching, can their friendship be renewed? 

The Wedding War is a story of family, friends, letting go and moving on. After a strong start, setting up childhood friendship, the story takes a strange turn. I wasn’t sure where the story was going or if I would like it. I couldn’t relate to Tennyson or Melanie. I found Melanie’s characterization as a stereotypical uptight, frumpy housewife insulting. And I didn’t care for all the designer name dropping when describing Tennyson. Okay we get it, Tennyson has money and she’s stylish. The beginning of the end and the ultimate end of their friendship was totally the fault of one rather than both having a hand in it. And one transgression would be very hard to forgive. Overall, I ended up enjoying the story, although I couldn’t relate to the woman and I didn’t get the laugh-out-loud moments that I was expecting. There was one moment I thought was hilarious. The second half of the book helps redeem the cringey first half. I’m glad I stuck with it and recommend The Wedding War


The Wedding War is available in paperback, eBook and audiobook. 


No comments:

Post a Comment