Wednesday, November 24, 2021

My thoughts on the "We don't know what's in it but we still take it" argument

I started writing this as a Facebook post but the more I wrote the more I realized it was too long and decided to post it as a blog. I’m sure many won’t read it but I feel the need to get it out. You may assume my status on the COVID vaccine or vaccines in general. It has no place in the counterargument I am trying to make and I will not make a statement on thoughts either way. I have heard various arguments for the COVID. Below are screenshots of an argument for the COVID vaccine I’ve seen several times over the past weeks. Usually I would ignore it because I usually operate under the “Live and Let Live” motto and it's too much of a hot-button topic that I don’t want or need the debate. However, I saw it the other day and I couldn’t ignore it any longer. 



I am sick and tired of the “we don’t know what’s in (blank) but we still take it” argument. It is a weak and largely unfair statement. Yes, there are people who eat and drink, take medicines without really knowing what is in them. However, I know a lot of people that do know what’s in their food, their medicines and their soaps, etc. If something goes in, on or around the body, there are groups of people who do their research because they 1) do care and read the ingredient lists and 2) have to care because of various food allergies and sensitivities to chemicals. There is a reason why food and other products list their ingredients. There’s a reason why possible ingredients related to food allergies and sensitivities are listed boldly on food labels. There’s a reason we have sensitive bath soaps, free and clear laundry soaps and bleach free household cleaners. There’s a reason why organic and non-GMO foods have grown in popularity. 


To bring up tattoo ink, vaping, and Botox doesn’t add to their argument either. While these things have grown in popularity, it doesn’t mean that everyone who has tattoos doesn't know what’s in the ink. It doesn’t mean that everyone who vapes doesn’t know what’s in it. The same goes with Botox. There are people who may have done their research and, for good or bad, have decided to get a tattoo, start vaping or get Botox. There are people who refuse to eat food that someone else has prepared. Yes, there is research out there about the long term effects of mobile phone use. The fact that someone hasn’t looked into it and uses a cell phone doesn’t mean that everyone else hasn’t either.


There may be several reasons why someone is hesitant or outright refusing the COVID vaccine. Yes, it could be political. And yes, they can be strictly anti-vaccine. It could be the mandate. Or they could simply be following medical advice. However, a number of people just want more information. I don’t understand how someone who does their due diligence before buying a car or house would be considered a smart consumer. But for someone who wants more information about a medical vaccine, they are anti-vaxx and anti-science. The “because I said so” argument doesn’t work. The “just trust me” response doesn’t sit well with some people especially when the government hasn’t given them much reason to trust them. 


If you decide to eat, drink or use anything without knowing what's in it, then any effects, good or bad, is on you. If you decided to get the vaccine with the information at hand, then good for you. However, it does not give you the right to judge, to shame, to antagonize or vilify those who have not got the vaccine because they wish to know what's in it.



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for reading and taking the time to comment. I appreciate it.

      Delete