Saturday, February 19, 2022

Impossible to Forget: a story about friendship, family, and grief

Impossible to Forget by Imogen Clark is a story about friendship, family, grief and the strength to find your place in the world. Just as Romany Osborne turns eighteen, she loses her mother, Angie, to a sudden illness. As the only parent Romany has ever known, Angie wants to make sure her daughter has guidance as she finishes her last year of school before university. In a final letter, Angie has charged her four closest friends to help Romany, each charged with a different task including legal help, cultural education, travel and relationship advice. Three of them have known Angie since university and have remained friends for more than 30 years. Tiger is the perpetual nomad who hides his true identity. Leon is the shy and practical one with an untapped musical talent. Lastly, Maggie, the brilliant lawyer who has always had a set plan to follow. But the fourth guardian is a bit of a mystery. Hope has only known Angie for a few years. She and the others have no idea why she was included. What was the motivation behind this odd request? What could being Romany’s guardian possibly accomplish? 

I chose Impossible to Forget as my January pick from Amazon’s First Reads selection and I am so glad I did. Imogen Clark is a new author to me and I wasn’t sure what to expect. But from the opening chapter to the final page, this story had me hooked. I could not put it down as I read about the unusual friendship between these four people and Angie. There were many moments of laughter and deep heartfelt moments which left me in tears. At first, there were characters I wasn’t sure I would like but by the end of the book, it was hard to have one favorite character. One of my favorite moments is when Romany was horrified that her mother dared to fold the corner of her book. I laughed and cheered because that’s me! I loved that each character, filled with flaws, had moments of growth and personal revelations that it wasn’t too late for true happiness and to follow your heart instead of the sensible and logical path. I highly, highly recommend Impossible to Forget. It is a book that will fill you with hope and appreciation for those unusual friendships. 


Impossible to Forget is available in paperback, eBook, and audiobook. 


No comments:

Post a Comment