Monday, October 26, 2020

My Sister's Husband: a story of jealousy, secrets and sisters

 My Sister’s Husband by Nicola Marsh is an intense story of sisters, family secrets and jealousy. The opening line in the prologue states it clearly “family can be toxic” with “secrets, half-truths, mysteries, and outright lies.” The story opens with Brooke coming home to Martino Bay, California for her sister, Freya’s wedding after being gone for 11 years. She is also coming home to see her Aunt Alice the only mother she has ever known and who is in failing health. As soon as she comes home, Brooke realizes there is more going on than she thought. She recognizes Freya’s fiancé, and the decline of Alice’s health doesn’t add up. Brooke decides to figure out what happen to Alice and what led to her rapid decline. Told between three perspectives, Brooke and Freya, and Alice in the past, the reader is taken on a journey with many twists and turns. Will Brooke find out the truth? Will the truth set them free or drive them further apart?

Wow! What a book! From the opening prologue to the last chapter, the story will twist and turn as you try to figure out what happened and what is going on. It is the story of two sets of sisters: Brooke and Freya and Alice and Diana, Brooke, and Freya’s mother. As I read the interactions of the sisters, I am so glad that I do not have that relationship with my own sisters. It was hard to like or relate to these women though I found Brooke more likable especially as the story progressed. There are a few secrets that I guesses at, which turned out to be correct, but just when I thought I had it figured out, Ms. Marsh still had a few twists that I didn’t see coming! My only complaint is with Alice’s perspective, it was hard to determine when the events she talked about happened. Overall, I really enjoyed My Sister’s Husband and I highly recommend it. It is a roller coaster ride that you do not want to miss!

 

My Sister’s Husband is available in paperback and eBook

No comments:

Post a Comment