Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Hurricane Summer: a coming of age story set in a Caribbean paradise

Hurricane Summer by Ashe Bromfield is a coming of age story dealing with colorism, classism and explores the father-daughter relationship. Tilla has spent her life trying to make her father love her enough to stay with them. But every six months, he would leave them to return to Jamaica, his true home. When Tilla’s mother tells her she’ll be spending the summer on the island, she dreads the idea of seeing him again and yet longs to discover why life in Jamaica was more important. The minute she arrives, Tilla is met with opposition from her relatives as a foreigner. She tries to make the most of the summer, hanging out with her cousins and the locals, discovering the joy and pain of summer love. As she faces an impending hurricane, Tilla is forced to confront the storm that threatens to unravel in her own life as she learns the dark secrets of her family and those hidden by the veil of paradise. It is a story which takes the reader into the heart of Jamaica and into the soul of a young girl coming to terms with her family, herself and the discovery of finding your voice. 

The gorgeous cover is what caught my eye as I was invited to read this debut novel by Ms. Bromfield. I was intrigued by the story, but when I started reading, I was sure if I would like the book. But I continued and I’m so glad I did. The story soon burst open and became a beautiful coming of age story. Set in a Caribbean paradise, it is a story of a storm. A storm of nature and one of the heart and soul. From the very beginning, I felt for Tilla as she is fighting for her father’s affections as well as trying to navigate a world that is against her. I cried when she came to the conclusion that she is fighting an uphill battle against the pull of Jamaica. The island will always be his first choice. Written as a young adult novel, I feel all ages could relate and learn from Tilla's hurricane summer. The themes of summer love, jealousy and finding your voice are all experiences most of us have faced and can relate to Tilla’s confusion, her heartbreak and her determination to fight back. I highly recommend Hurricane Summer


Hurricane Summer is available in hardcover, eBook, and audiobook. 


No comments:

Post a Comment