Monday, May 3, 2021

The Bookshop of Second Chances: when a new life starts in the most unexpected places

The Bookshop of Second Chances by Jackie Fraser is the story of a woman’s desperate determination to find a new direction in her life. Nothing is going well for Thea Mottram. she was let go from her job with no notice and then, her husband of nearly twenty years has decided to leave her for one of her closest friends. It is an understatement to say that Thea has been left bewildered and completely lost. A surprise letter which informs her that her great uncle has passed away and left her his home and his worldly possessions, including an extensive antique book collection. She heads to the Scottish coast and immediately falls in love with the quaint cottage and the nearby village of Baldochrie, where the locals are warm, quirky, and inviting. The only person who she doesn’t quite win over is the local bookshop owner, Edward Maltravers. His gruff attitude tests Thea’s patience and they are soon engaged in a battle of wills. Thea soon finds the bickering with Edward thrilling and exciting, she begins to find a courage and direction she has been missing. Will she ever leave the Scottish village? 

From the opening chapter to the final pages, I fell in love with Thea and Edward. Their bickering made me laugh and smile. I eagerly read as I waited to see if they would finally acknowledge their sexual tension and act on it. Do they? You’ll have to read it to find out. It is a great book about second chances at life and love even when you think you are beyond the need or desire. It was funny and while the language may be a bit crude for some, it reminded me of British television. One of my favorite parts is when Thea explains how she found out that her husband was cheating on her. It was definitely an “oh my!” moment. I especially loved the descriptions about the bookshop and the various books on the shelves. There were moments when Edward and Thea talked about books, some I was familiar with and others I wasn’t. I was intrigued enough to make a list to look up when I finished. Overall, The Bookshop of Second Chances is a great book with relatable characters filled with humor and drama. I highly recommend The Bookshop of Second Chances


The Bookshop of Second Chances will be available on May 4, 2021 in paperback, eBook and audiobook. 


No comments:

Post a Comment