Sunday, August 1, 2021

The Words Between Us: a story of the power of words

The Words Between Us by Erin Bartels is the story of the power of words. Robin Windsor has spent most of her life under an assumed name, trying to escape the stigma of her infamous parents. She thought she had finally found peace in an unassuming used bookstore in River City, Michigan. But the store is struggling and her past will soon come back to haunt her. On the morning of her father’s scheduled execution, Robin receives an eerily familiar book in the mail. The first edition of Catcher in the Rye transports her back to the summer 20 years ago when she met Peter Flynt, the boy who was her best friend, the boy who would ruin everything. Other books will follow, each with meaning for both Robin and Peter. Why would Peter be making contact now? Will she finally stop running and confront her family’s past? 

The Words Between Us is told in two timelines: then and now. As Robin receives each book, the reader is transported back to when the book had significance for Robin and Peter. I loved the references and discussions the characters have about the classic stories we all know and love. Often giving me insights that I didn’t think about for those stories. The story itself was good, but slow moving. When I finished, I wasn’t sure how I felt. I enjoyed seeing Robin deal with the immediate aftermath of her parents’ crimes and trials. What happens to the children of infamous people? How do they move on and deal with the notoriety? Overall, I enjoyed the stories. The story about her parents’ crimes fell flat for me but I was more interested in Robin’s growth as she deals with moving forward. I recommend The Words Between Us


The Words Between Us is available in paperback, eBook and audiobook. 


No comments:

Post a Comment