Monday, December 27, 2021

In the Cards: sometimes you have to bet it all

In the Cards by Jamie Beck is a story of fate, coincidences and the strange turns our paths may take. Lindsey Hilliard is weeks away from her wedding when she learns of her fiancĂ©'s infidelity. Filled with self-doubt and confusion, she flees her charmed life in New York to hide out at a beach house in Malibu. She quickly learns that her sexy neighbor is Levi Hardy, the cocky man who humiliated her many years ago. Hardened by a grim past, Levi maintains a comfortable distance from everyone in order to conceal his secrets and protect his heart. But when a motorcycle collision leaves him critically wounded, he is forced to accept her assistance. Sparks are undeniable as the insecure Lindsey teaches the cynic Levi to have faith in others and he encourages her to find her voice and be heard. Does he dare allow his heart to hope that they have a future together? 

As I read In the Cards, I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it. I didn’t feel a connection with Lindsey and Levi was a closed book. But I kept reading and I’m glad that I did. Lindsey and Levi are very complex characters with real hurts and real challenges that by the end of the story I felt a connection with them both. By the end, I understood Levi’s wall and Lindsey’s naivety. The secondary characters were great as antagonists and voices of reasons. The sparks that flew between them were as hot as any romance I’ve read. I cheered for them as their lives seem to be heading to be together. But would they? I eagerly turned each page, hoping that someone would say something to crack the wall between them. In the Cards is my first book by Ms. Beck and it will not be my last. I highly recommend In the Cards


In The Cards is available in paperback, eBook, and audiobook. 


No comments:

Post a Comment