Saturday, January 8, 2022

Bad Luck Bridesmaid: can one woman really be cursed?

Bad Luck Bridesmaid by Alison Rose Greenberg is a story about one woman’s search for happily ever after on her own terms. Zoey Marks believes she is cursed. Ten years and three weddings as a bridesmaid and no bride walking down the aisle. After the third failed wedding, she wonders if her own doubts about marriage haven't quietly influenced those she loves. When she turns down a proposal from her perfect All-American boyfriend that leaves both Rylan and herself heartbroken. She wonders what about marriage makes her want to run? When her best friend, Hannah, announces that she is getting married, to a guy she just met, at a gorgeous, romantic Irish castle, everything will be fine…right? Determined to undo this curse, she accepts yet another bridesmaid role and with more determination to get Hannah down the aisle. Zoey finds herself overwhelmed with more questions than she can answer. Can you be a free spirit and want a certain future? Can you love and be loved on your terms? 

Bad Luck Bridesmaid is marketed as a “whip-smart” and a “celebration of complicated women and a power anthem to live your truth.” The premise sounded interesting to me so I picked it up. And it is an edgy romance. Edgy all right. It set my teeth on edge. Zoey is a completely unlikeable character that I could not relate to at all. I lost count how many times I cringed or rolled my eyes at something she said or did. She is supposed to be a modern woman in the modern world but I found her very toxic and self-centered. I kept with the book hoping that Zoey would have a lightbulb moment, a revelation that she can pinpoint “This is what I want” whether it is marriage or not. Unfortunately, she really doesn't. No real character growth at all. I also didn’t like that the writing felt off with a lack of cohesiveness and I felt disoriented while reading it. I do not recommend Bad Luck Bridesmaid


Bad Luck Bridesmaid will be available in paperback, eBook, and audiobook on January 11


No comments:

Post a Comment