Friday, September 23, 2022

The End of Temperance Dare: a haunting gothic mystery

The End of Temperance Dare by Wendy Webb is a haunting story of intrigue, secrets and revenge. After suddenly losing her job at a local newspaper, Eleanor Harper decides to apply for the director position at Cliffside Manor, a renowned artist retreat, as Penelope Dare decides to step down and retire. She knows nothing of the manor’s past as a tuberculosis sanatorium. After years as a crime reporter, she hopes that the artist retreat atmosphere will bring the peace she needs. She is quite surprised when she is selected for the position but ready for the challenge. When she arrives on a fog-filled morning, Eleanor can’t shake a sense of impending doom and as the artists arrive, she begins to suspect that her predecessor chose this group of individuals with a certain purpose in mind. As strange and chilling events begin to unfold, the sins of the pasts are revealed, Eleanor must fight to save the artists and herself from evil forces. Will they make it out alive? 

The End of Temperance Dare is a gothic novel with many twists and turns. As I read, I was reminded of Henry James’ 1898 novella, The Turning of the Screw and Nicole Kidman’s 2001 movie The Others with a sprinkle of Supernatural (2005-2020) vibes. When events are unfolding and strange occurrences catch the residents unaware, I kept asking myself who or what is behind it all? Was it one of the caretakers on the grounds? I had my suspicions about a few. Or was there an evil spirit with a deadly game to play? The beginning was a bit slow for me but the gothic vibe was evident from the very beginning but a few chapters in and the story burst open and kept me glued to the page. I usually don’t read gothic novels but this story was intriguing and gripping. Ms. Webb developed mood, atmosphere and mystery brilliantly. I am intrigued to read Ms. Webb’s other works. I highly, highly recommend The End of Temperance Dare



The End of Temperance Dare is available in paperback, eBook, and audiobook


No comments:

Post a Comment