Friday, May 3, 2024

The Bequest: an unexpected inheritance and a life changing decision

The Bequest by B.E. Baker is the first book in The Birch Creek Ranch series. Abigail and Amanda married the Brooks brothers but they have nothing else in common. After their husbands both pass away, they have become distant acquaintances. Until one day, when news comes to them that their late husbands’ eccentric uncle has passed away and left a cattle ranch to their children. However, they must work the ranch for one year. If they do, it’s theirs. If they do not, the ranch will be sold and the proceeds donated. At first, they both decide to turn down the offer; however, a series of events leads them both to spend the summer at the ranch with their combined six children. Could this summer prove they have no business running a ranch? Or prove that they could? 

I have enjoyed B.E. Baker’s books in the past and I was looking forward to reading The Bequest. I was excited as it appeared next on my To-Be-Read list. After a few chapters, my enjoyment faltered. I could not stand Abigail or Amanda at first. Abigail is a lawyer hoping to become a partner at her firm. Amanda is an Instagram influencer desperate for the chance to expand her brand. By the end, I did see them begin to change and evolve. The only characters I truly enjoyed were the children, especially Elijah. Overall, I did enjoy The Bequest and would like to see how Abigail, Amanda and their children continue to grow with their new lives. If you enjoy surprise inheritance and fish out of water stories, you may enjoy The Bequest


The Bequest is available in paperback, eBook and audiobook


No comments:

Post a Comment