Thursday, February 13, 2020

Silent Crime: bad crime story


Silent Crime by WL Knightly is the first book in the Hangman series. WL Knightly is the writing team of friends, Lexy Timms and Ali Parker. Detective Jake Thomas of the Spokane Police Department is on his way out. He is tired of the corruption and evil that seems to fill the streets. He is given one last case in order to train his replacement, Officer Jo Calloway, and what he doesn’t realize is that this case will affect more personally than ever before. There is a serial killer known as the Hangman who likes to torture his victims with a deadly game of hangman before killing them. Can Jake train his replacement and catch the Hangman before he kills again?


When I picked this book, the title and cover page caught my eye and I love a good detective story. It was on my To Be Read list for months until recently when I slowly made my way to it. I eagerly opened the first page and was shocked. This was not the book I thought it was. The language was way too vulgar for me. I’ve read some gruesome crime stories, but this book had no real style to it. It had no suspense and even with the “cliffhanger” of an ending, there was no real hook to keep me onto the next book. It was only recently when I read other reviews, did I realize that you must read all six books in the series to get the complete story. So, you have to labor through six books to have any resolution? I don’t think so. The characters aren’t even likable enough for me to try to continue the series. Jake is too much of a misogynist and the first time the reader is introduced to Jo, she’s the dumb blonde popping her gum. Really?!?!? A cop that is going to take over homicide cases?!?! It isn’t even well written or researched. The police procedures are a joke. I do not recommend Silent Crime.

Silent Crime
is available in paperback and eBook

No comments:

Post a Comment