Wednesday, June 2, 2021

The Things I Know: a sweet story but not one of my favorites

The Things I Know by Amanda Prowse is the story of Thomasina “Hitch” Waycott. She loves living and working on her family’s remote farm and B&B. But she wants so much more. She wants to see the world, to have a home of her own and to fall madly in love. Unfortunately, for Hitch, those wants are simply dreams. Her physical deformities and her parents’ overprotectiveness has kept her from taking risks and chances. Little does she know that it’s about to change. Grayson Potts comes to stay on the farm. He is unlike anyone she has ever met. He’s kind and undeterred by her physical flaws. The two form a bond that neither has experienced before and Thomasina dares to hope that her dreams are coming true. Is it too good to be true? Will her heart break? Or will her life become so much more than she ever dreamed? 

I have been a fan of Ms. Prowse for quite a while. While her books are usually great emotional journeys, The Things I Know didn’t grab my interest. While I felt for Hitch and understood her desires for love, I didn’t feel a strong connection with her. Although my favorite part is when Thomasina would write in her journal about the things she knew, the things she wished for, based on the previous chapter. She was bold in ways she couldn’t be in real life. She could speak her mind and say the things that kept her tongue tied. I kept expecting the story to pick up with Grayson’s arrival in the story. Unfortunately, the story dragged on and bordered on boring. I found myself struggling to keep interested. If you are a fan of Ms. Prowse’s books, you may enjoy The Things I Know. Unfortunately, for me, it is not listed among my favorites. 


The Things I Know is available in paperback, eBook, and audiobook


No comments:

Post a Comment