Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Calloway Cove: can coming home bring a dream to life?

Calloway Cove by Tia Souders is the first book in the Bayshore Beach series. Andi Calloway is tired. As she lays her mother to rest, she is at a crossroad. Her mother’s dying wish was that Andi return home to Calloway Cove and pursue her dream of becoming a published author. Does she head back to her tiny apartment in New York or does she honor her mother’s dying wish? When she learns that literary legend Ford Delaney is staying in town and needs an assistant, she believes this is the sign she needed. She can work for him and spend her free time writing her own book. However, it doesn’t work out as easily as she hoped. Andi’s boyfriend, Peter, doesn’t support her decision and pressures her to return to New York. Her childhood friends are battling private situations and she develops an attraction to her new boss which adds to an already difficult situation. 

Calloway Cove is described as a “clean, lightly angsty, romance” with “a heroine running towards a new future, a hero running from a troubled past, and all the friends who help them along the way.” The story started off strong and interesting, unfortunately, it fell quickly. While I enjoyed the small town feel and Andi’s family history to the area, I found myself not caring about Andi, Ford, and the other characters. I’ve read books where the main character is an aspiring author and it was believable and enjoyable. I enjoy seeing the behind the scenes of writing. However, I just didn’t see Andi as an author. I was annoyed at her behavior and excuses. I enjoyed Ford a bit more. I understand the secrecy Ford is desiring and wants to make sure Andi keeps his presence secrets, but does she? Overall, I did not enjoy Calloway Cove and will not continue the series. 


Calloway Cove is available in paperback and eBook


No comments:

Post a Comment