Sunday, March 13, 2022

The Patron: a story of faith, forgiveness and family

The Patron by Tess Thompson is the second book in the Emerson Pass Contemporaries series. Crystal Whalen isn’t sure why she should move on. Two years after her husband’s death on a ski trip, she is still reeling from her devastation. She is further devastated when a fire destroys her mountain home. The fire has thrown her together with Garth Welte, the gorgeous former skiing Olympian turned lawyer, whose home was also destroyed. The two become temporary housemates as their mutual friends, Trapper and Brandi, offer them a room while their houses are rebuilt. However, Crystal’s attraction to Garth only fuels her grief and guilt. Garth has his own wounds. He was burned when his ex-wife took most of his money and he is determined to keep things casual with Crystal, unfortunately, his growing feelings are getting more and more harder to deny. As they deal with their respective wounds, will they allow themselves a chance at love one more time? 

The Patron picks up where the first book, The Sugar Queen, left off. The town of Emerson Pass is still dealing with the aftermath of the devastating fire. It is a sweet and heartwarming story of faith, forgiveness and family. I particularly liked Ms. Thompson’s treatment of Crystal’s grief. It felt very real and tangible as she struggles with moving forward. As a couple, I didn’t get the warm fuzzies with Crystal and Garth as I did with Trapper and Brandi, but honestly, I think it’s because I related to Brandi’s struggles more than I did with Crystal’s and Garth’s. There was a bit of a mystery that is revealed in the story. However, I figured it out very early in the story and it was nice to have an “I knew it!” moment as I read. Overall, I enjoyed The Patron and I look forward to reading more books in the Emerson Pass Contemporaries series. I recommend The Patron but first you must read The Sugar Queen


The Patron is available in paperback and eBook


The Sugar Queen is available in paperback, eBook and audiobook





No comments:

Post a Comment