Thursday, March 17, 2022

It Takes Heart: a second chance at love amidst family drama

It Takes Heart by Tif Marcelo is the first book in the Heart Resort series. The Heart Resort, a private resort, has been a romantic getaway for couples. But for the Puso family, being owners of the resort is also a place for family drama. Brandon is the youngest of the four siblings. After a fall out with his eldest brother, he prefers life on his own as a licensed contractor in DC. After a hurricane devastates the resort, it’s all hands on deck to get it up and running. There he encounters Geneva Harris, his sister’s best friend and interior designer. She is also there to help out. Brandon and Geneva have a little secret. Years ago, they had a romantic relationship that ended in heartbreak. They agree to ignore their past and work together for the sake of the resort and his family. However, their attraction is still there and try as they might, they can’t deny it. Will history repeat itself or is this their second chance to get it right? 

It Takes Heart is my first book by Tif Marcelo. I enjoyed a story that features a Filipino family. I know a few Filipinos and it was great to see the culture represented. The story started slowly, loaded with Brandon’s and Geneva’s relationship issues and the familial interpersonal relationships and conflicts. At times I was confused by statements made by the characters referring to events that I wasn’t aware of yet. I wasn’t sure if I would care for the relationship between Brandon and Geneva or care for the other characters to want to read the rest of the series. But I was intrigued and I wanted to continue. By the end, I cheered for Brandon’s and Geneva’s relationship and their individual growth. I even enjoyed Brandon’s siblings and  look forward to reading their stories. I appreciated how Ms. Marcelo dealt with family dynamics that can transcend cultures as well as grief, guilt and familial pressures. It is a heartwarming story of love, family and being true to yourself. I recommend It Takes Heart


It Takes Heart is available in paperback, eBook, and audiobook


No comments:

Post a Comment