Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Second Chance Grill: small town drama and romance

Second Chance Grill by Christine Nolfi is the first book in the Liberty series. Dr Mary Chance needs a break from practicing medicine after the tragic loss of her closest friend. When the opportunity came to reopen her aunt’s struggling restaurant in Liberty, Ohio, she thought it was exactly what she needed. Unfortunately, reopening the restaurant wasn’t as smooth as she thought. She wasn’t prepared for the eccentric residents and one determined eleven year old girl. Blossom Perini is a girl who has been through hell, battling leukemia and has emerged victorious. Now she is determined to find a wife for her father, Anthony, and Mary is the perfect candidate. Mary can’t help being drawn to Blossom and Anthony but she tries to resist. But when Blossom faces another battle, Mary and the town will rally together for her and set in motion an outpouring of love from outside their small community. 

Second Chance Grill is touted as “an unforgettable tale of love, loss and second chances,” and while it was an emotional story, I closed the final pages conflicted. I have loved Ms. Nolfi’s books in the past and I expected to enjoy this one. Unfortunately, I did not. At certain parts, I was bored and even annoyed over the small town antics of its eccentric residents. And other parts, I was angry and not angry as I think Ms. Nolfi intended. While Second Chance Grill had all the elements of a great small town story that I usually love, however, I didn’t care for Mary, Blossom or Anthony and other characters really grated my nerves. The romance between Mary and Anthony started off fine, then morphed into something cringey. There were actions of some characters that bordered on the criminal with no consequences or at least any I saw. Unfortunately, Second Chance Grill wasn’t the story I expected. 


Second Chance Grill is available in paperback and eBook



No comments:

Post a Comment