Sunday, March 24, 2024

Moment in Time: one night can change the course of one's life and friendships

Moment in Time by Suzanne Redfearn is a follow-up to In An Instant (2020). It’s been eight years since the tragic events which changed Maureen “Mo” Kaminski and Chloe Miller’s lives. Now in their mid-twenties, they share an apartment in San Francisco with their roommate, Hazel. Life seems to be relatively normal as they both work through the challenges of adulthood and career. Suddenly, one night when Hazel ends up in the hospital after being raped, their lives are again turned upside down. When the suspected perpetrator turns up drugged and beaten and Hazel has disappeared, the mystery of what happened that night becomes the forefront of their lives. Mo and Chloe are desperate to find out what happened to their friend and bring her home. Despite being familiar with tragedy, Mo and Chloe will find themselves tested personally as well as their friendship. Will their commitment to their friend, finding the truth and seeking justice bring them closer together? Will they be driven apart for good? 

I read In An Instant a couple years ago and loved it. When Moment in Time was suggested for me, I grabbed it and couldn’t wait to read it. Unfortunately, something felt off about the story. I’m not sure what it was but I was bored and confused. While the subject matter needs to be taken seriously, I found myself not caring about Mo and Chloe as they searched for their friend and discovered what happened that night. At one point, one of the characters decides to get revenge on a cop for not taking the rape report seriously and then is shocked when she is arrested for it. Seriously?!?!? There were also too many plot holes and inconsistencies that just didn’t add up. Moment in Time just doesn’t have the same emotional impact that In An Instant did. It wasn’t as gripping and emotional as I expected. Overall, I did not enjoy Moment in Time. Despite my enjoyment and recommendation for In An Instant, I cannot recommend Moment in Time


Moment in Time is available in paperback, eBook and audiobook


No comments:

Post a Comment