Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Bet on it: anxiety, love and bingo

Bet on it by Jodie Slaughter is a story of anxiety, and learning to love and trust again. Aja Owens is fairly new in Greenbelt, South Carolina. The small town offers a new life. What she doesn’t expect is to meet the man of her dreams in the middle of the Piggly Wiggly during a panic attack. Then she meets him again. This time he is introduced as Walker Abbott, the semi-estranged grandson of her favorite bingo buddy, Ms. May. There are only two good things about his hometown in Walker’s mind: the peach cobbler at a local diner and his grandmother. He forces himself back in town after a decade away to help his grandmother as she heals from a fall. His plan: stay a few weeks and he’ll leave this town behind once again. Except there’s a snag in that plan: Aja. Friendly banter leads to a bingo-based sex pact. A pact that was supposed to keep their budding relationship casual and temporary. What happens when casual and temporary becomes deeper and permanent? 

Bet on it is a wonderful story of personal growth, anxiety issues and two very broken people who find a way to each other and become whole again. The story is filled with hard hitting emotional issues which are realistic and intense. The book opens with Aja in the middle of a very public attack and my heart went out to her. I loved her courage to work on herself, to step outside her comfort zone despite her anxiety. As Walker opens up about his own issues, my heart went to him as well. These are two very broken people. One is actively trying to overcome her issues and the other prefers to run from them. I laughed. I cried. And I cheered as they find a way to overcome. I would warn that the language may be too vulgar for some readers. I feel it adds authenticity to the characters so it was tolerable for me. The sex scenes between Aja and Walker are intense and very steamy. Overall, I enjoyed Aja and Walker’s story. I recommend Bet on it


Bet on it is available in paperback, eBook, and audiobook


No comments:

Post a Comment