Saturday, October 1, 2022

Inheriting Murder: a cozy mystery of murder and art theft, oh my!

Inheriting Murder is the first book in the Bobwhite Mountain Cozy Mystery series by Jamie Rutland Gillespie. When her Aunt Tildie passes away, Landry Burke inherits her entire estate including a five story apartment building, the Magnolia Place, and a bookstore, Jasmine Bloom Books in the town of Bobwhite Mountain, Tennessee. On her first day in town, she and Adam Wilcox, her aunt’s attorney, discover the body of one of Magnolia Place’s doormen. Trying to adjust to her new home and now with a murder investigation to deal with doesn’t help her panic attacks and anxiety. Sheriff Wyatt Collins is on the case. Landry just can’t seem to leave the investigation to the sheriff. When the investigation leads to the discovery of art theft, Landry can’t help but wonder if the two crimes are connected? 

Inheriting Murder is the debut novel by Ms. Gillespie and I look forward to many more. With all the quirkiness of small town characters, Inheriting Murder had me laughing and smiling at the situations that Landry finds herself in. One particular incident had me shaking my head and thinking “Only you, Landry!” and I just met the character! Trouble just seems to follow her to the point that Ms Millie, Aunt Tildie’s best friend, is wary of Landry. The story isn’t short on suspects, even for a small town, that I thought would behind the murder and the art theft. The reveal at the killer was great and surprising. Overall, I enjoyed Inheriting Murder and look forward to the rest of the series. If you enjoy cozy mysteries, I recommend Inheriting Murder


Inheriting Murder is available in paperback and eBook


No comments:

Post a Comment