Saturday, January 6, 2024

Displaced: an urban fantasy with shocking truths, intrigue and betrayal

Displaced is the first book in The Birthright series by Bridget E Baker. It is the start of a saga of shocking truths, deadly intrigue and sisterly betrayal. Being a twin complicates the Evian line of succession, however, Chancery Alamecha is perfectly fine letting her sister, Judica, inherit the throne. Judica is stronger, a merciless fighter, a ruthless politician and has been groomed for the throne since birth. Until one day when she tries on her mother’s staridium ring, something unexpected happens and forces Chancery into a role she never wanted and didn’t prepare for: she may be the prophesied queen to unite the daughters of Eve and now the heir to the Evian throne. Judica is enraged by the turn of events and vows to reclaim her rightful place to the throne. A challenge is issued and Chancery goes off to train. Training to fight her sister to the death for the throne. She knows she must face her sister. If not, it could cause the end of the world. 

Displaced is a young adult urban fantasy which is outside of my usual genres. However, I enjoyed Ms. Baker’s writing and I often enjoy testing the waters of other genres. The world of Displaced is beautifully written and immediately hooks you into this world. However, I found myself struggling to keep reading. I struggled with the complex character relationships and keeping track of who was who. There was a lot of world explanation, though needed, that seemed to bog down the story a bit. I’m not sure if because the genre is not one of my usual picks, I had mixed feelings as I read but I closed the books grateful it had ended. I have books two and three in this series but I haven’t decided if I want to continue and I may pick up the series in the future. For now, the series is not for me. However, if you enjoy young adult urban fantasy, I think Displaced is right up your alley. I recommend checking out Displaced


Displaced is available in hardcover, paperback, eBook and audiobook


No comments:

Post a Comment