Wednesday, January 24, 2024

A Lily in Disguise: secrets, lies, and finding home

A Lily in Disguise by Jessica Scarlett is the first book in the Wycliffe family series. In order to escape the scandals tied to her name, Lillian Markley has lived under an alias for eight years. She hopes to find work as a lady’s maid in order to save enough money to join her sister in America. When a heiress offers her a salary for doing the unthinkable. Miss Mary Raynsford does not want to spend the summer at a country estate, parading around to “catch a husband,” She asks Lily to go in her stead. If she is caught, Lily faces prison but Lilly agrees. Two months, easy right? From the moment she arrives, she is met with a suspicious young boy, run-ins with kidnappers and another guest who seems to know her secret. While she is trying to keep her lies and stories straight, she can’t help but be drawn to Peter Wycliffe, the young Viscount, and very eligible bachelor. One woman with three identities and a handsome lord trying to learn the truth, what could go wrong? 

I normally don’t read Regency era romance novels. I’m not sure why but I usually don’t enjoy them. However, I was intrigued by the premise of A Lily in Disguise that I took a chance. It had a great beginning. I loved Lily from the beginning. She is smart, witty and thinks on her toes. Peter is a great match to Lily’s wittiness and their flirtatious moments were wonderful to read. However, once everyone gathers at the estate and her secrets are threatened, it starts to drag a bit. I think the possible love triangles and the cattiness from a supporting character slowed the story down. But I kept going though and it picked and ended with sweet moments. The ending was a nice wrap up to the story and I closed the book with a smile. While I enjoyed it, I may or may not continue the series. Although I read other reviewers state that the other books were better, I may continue if the opportunity arises. If you enjoy Regency era romances, you may enjoy A Lily in Disguise


A Lily in Disguise is available in paperback and eBook


No comments:

Post a Comment