Friday, January 12, 2024

Flawless: financial troubles, a company take over and romance

Flawless is the first book in the Love, California series by Jan Moran. Verena Valent has been running the family company since her parents died tragically in a car accident. Their skincare company caters to the glamorous clientele in Beverly Hills. Along with taking care of her aging grandmother and younger twin sisters, Verena is in the midst of an international expansion into the Asia market. When the news of the sudden and suspicious death of the company’s banker and long time friend, Verena is faced with a financial situation that could break the company. To top it off, her ex-fiancĂ© is acting as if nothing had changed in their relationship. As she tries to navigate this unsettling territory, Verena meets Lance Martel, the executive chef at the Beverly Hills Hotel, who opens her eyes to new perspectives on love, romance and relationships. Can she keep her family’s company afloat? Will she take another chance on love? 

I enjoy Jan Moran’s stories and I was excited to read Flawless. The story hooks readers in the first chapter as they are introduced to Verena’s glamorous world. However, as the story progressed, the story became bogged down with business and legalese. The romance between Verena and Lance was lackluster as well. Overall, I finished the book confused and underwhelmed. I didn’t care for the business plotline. I didn’t care for Verena’s constant ignoring the warnings from others as well as the ones in her own head, to be shocked when things start to fall apart. While I loved Lance’s character, I didn’t care for Verena’s constant pushing him aside or brushing off his concerns and Lance just steps aside. The story seemed longer than it was and I was grateful when it was over. I still love Jan Moran’s books’ however, I am unsure if I will continue the Love, California series in the future. 


Flawless is available in paperback, eBook and audiobook


No comments:

Post a Comment