Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Southern Sunshine: when coming home is life changing

Southern Sunshine is the eighth book in the Southern series by Natasha Madison. Reed Barnes never wanted to be a cowboy. He saw the military as a way out. He enlisted and never looked back until he was injured in the battlefield. Now he is heading back home. Hazel discovered she was pregnant the night before she was supposed to leave for college. While her plans were altered, she was able to keep her baby and built a life for them both. She vowed never to return to her hometown as there are too many memories and too many watchful eyes. However, when she learns about the sudden death of her grandfather, she is forced to return home in order to settle his estate. The plan was to stay for two weeks. In and out before anyone asked questions. She didn’t account for Reed being in town as well. 

When I started Southern Sunshine, I was not aware it was the eighth book in the series. As I read, there are numerous supporting characters that came in and out and their interactions with Reed and Hazel had me confused as to the relationships and history. It wasn’t until I started to write this review that I refigured out why. That being said, the main story of Reed and Hazel was still readable as they are both back in town after six years away. Unfortunately, I could not stand Reed as he desired to leave town as he was sick of living in the shadows of his father and older brother. Ok, understandable. However, when Hazel tries to get in touch with him, he ignores her message. Overall, I did not enjoy Southern Sunshine and I have no desire to go back and read the previous books in the series. 


Southern Sunshine is available in paperback and eBook


No comments:

Post a Comment