Saturday, June 22, 2024

Binding 13: a chance encounter leads to friendship and love

Binding 13 is the first book of the Boys of Tommen series by Chole Walsh. Johnny Kavanagh lives and breathes rugby. It has been his main focus until he met her. An unfortunate accident puts Johnny face to face with Shannon Lynch, the new girl on campus, and he is captivated. Shy and hiding physical and emotional damage, all Shannon wants is to be invisible. Coming from a horrifying situation at a previous school, where she was bullied and tortured, she is desperate for as much peace and quiet that she can get. He doesn’t know why but Johnny feels protective of Shannon and is determined that her experience at Tommen College is better for her. Despite dealing with his own pressures and needing to keep his eyes on the ultimate prize, but, Johnny can’t stay away from the girl with the sad, soulful eyes. What starts as a complicated friendship turns into an undeniable attraction, can Johnny and Shannon overcome the obstacles in their path? 

I was introduced to Binding 13 through TikTok and I was intrigued. While I am not a fan of rugby, I was drawn to the story of Johnny and Shannon. Two teenagers from opposite sides of the tracks who find friendship, love and the reality of the real world around them. Based in Ireland, Binding 13 is a stark look into the world of rugby, teenage love and heartbreak. Once I started this story, I could not put it down. This book has it all. It is real, gritty and heartbreaking. It had humor and banter. It has tense and tender moments with tears and smiles. My heart broke for Shannon and I wanted to reach through the pages and hug her, to save her. I loved Johnny’s character and his connection with Shannon. Word of warning: it is written in the Irish teen vernacular with heavy foul language. I highly, highly recommend Binding 13 and I can’t wait to read the rest of the series. 


Binding 13 is available in paperback, eBook and audiobook


No comments:

Post a Comment