Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Esperanza Rising: one young girl's journey through the hardships of the Great Depression

Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan is a coming of age story set during the Great Depression. Esperanza had a great life on her family’s ranch in Aguascalientes, Mexico. She wanted nothing: fancy dresses, parties and servants. Until a series of tragic events forces Esperanza and her mother to flee to California. Along with their former servants, they settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Esperanza isn’t prepared for the hard labor, financial struggles and the sudden prejudice she experiences, especially from other Mexicans. She has some hard lessons to learn. When Mama becomes ill, Esperanza finds the strength and determination to rise above the circumstances and a new hope for their lives. 

I first saw this book many years ago and have always wanted to read it. But I had forgotten about it until my oldest daughter read in school this past year. As she talked with me about the book, I was once again intrigued to read it. Inspired by her grandmother’s story of life during the Great Depression, Ms. Munoz Ryan writes a story about faith, hope, and survival against all odds. At a time when everyone was looking for work and coming to California, Esperanza saw the harsh realities of life outside the privilege she was accustomed to. I thoroughly enjoyed this story and discussed it further with my daughter. I highly recommend Esperanza Rising


Esperanza Rising is available in paperback, eBook and audiobook


No comments:

Post a Comment