Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Our Place on the Island: second chances, self-discovery and finding home again

Our Place on the Island by Erika Montgomery is a story of three women finding home and a new future on a familiar island. Many occasions have been celebrated at the Campbell family’s seaside cottage. The beloved matriarch, Cora, is getting remarried and the town gossip whispers that he was the one that got away. Her granddaughter, Michelle “Mickey,” is a renowned chef with a popular, successful restaurant with her boyfriend, Wes. However, she is hiding a secret. She has mismanaged the restaurant into the red. Cora’s wedding gives her an excuse to hide. She comes to the island to regroup and figure out a solution. Mickey’s mother, Hedy, is still mourning the passing of her beloved father and is having a hard time welcoming this new man in her mother’s life. Everyone knows a woman’s heart holds many secrets and Cora is about to reveal a story that will have the three women reevaluating their views on marriage, motherhood and the joys of following one’s heart. 

Two years ago, I read Ms. Montgomery’s debut novel A Summer to Remember and when I was offered a chance to read her newest novel, I took it! Our Place on the Island is a story of second chances, discovering your true passions and finding home again. It is a story that did not disappoint. I thought I had figured it out; however, as the story unfolded, it took a surprising, heartwarming turn. I enjoyed every character. However, my favorite character was Cora. Her words of wisdom and insights were spot on. Word of warning: DO NOT read this book on an empty stomach! Cooking and food is an important aspect as the women bond over food and you will be craving every delicious dish as you read! Even the descriptions of the ingredients made me wish I had them in front of me! Ms. Montgomery describes Cora’s garden so well, I swear I could smell the fresh herbs and produce. I highly recommend Our Place on the Island


Our Place on the Island is available in paperback, eBook, and audiobook


No comments:

Post a Comment